Sep 1, 2010
Spicy Brinjal Fry
8 to10 small Brinjals
¼ cup sliced onions
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
½ tsp turmeric powder
1tsp curry powder/ Sambhar powder
1tbsp tomato ketchup
1tbsp Olive oil/any oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp urad dal
½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
Few curry leaves
• Cut Brinjals lengthwise into 4 to 6 parts each, depending on the size of each.
• Discard the green calyx. Add brinjals, pinch of turmeric powder, water & microwave for 3 mins. Avoid over cooking. Strain the brinjal pieces & keep the water aside
• Heat oil in a pan or a wide kadai, splutter mustard seeds and the urad dal. Add the chopped garlic and the onions and sauté till they turn golden & add the curry leaves.
• Lower the flame & add the curry powder/ sambhar powder, salt & sauté lightly, immediately add the tomato ketchup & then the brinjal pieces.
• Keeping the flame medium, toss or turn the pieces lightly, allowing the gravy to coat well. If needed add a little water. The brinjals pieces need to be visible clearly. Don’t make it mushy by mixing it many times.
• Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with rice, chappathi, naan.