1/2 cup split yellow Moong dal, washed
1/2 cup unsalted butter or ghee
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp elaichi powder (cardamom)
Pinch of saffron
2 cups of water
3 tbsp of sliced almonds for garnish
- Wash moong dal & soak in 2 cups of water for 3 hours.
- Drain the water and grind dal into a thick paste, adding just enough water as needed to blend. It should be a little grainy (not too fine paste).
- In a microwave bowl add moong dal paste and melted butter.
- Cook the dal for every 2mins in the microwave & keep stirring it after every 1 min. Use spatula to gently press the paste, then fold the paste over and press again to make sure there are no lumps.
- Repeat this process several times until the texture is nice brown in color. This will take approximately 18 minutes, the butter will start to separate & will give a nice aroma.
- Boil water and sugar in a pan over medium heat, for 3-4 minutes, add elaichi powder, saffron and keep aside.
- Once the dal is golden brown color add the hot syrup slowly & keep stirring. Make sure the syrup is hot. The syrup will splatter as you are adding. Cover and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with almonds. Serve hot.
- Tip: Make sure the dal is golden brown in color before adding the sugar syrup. Once the syrup is added the color won’t change much. Add extra sugar if needed for you taste.