Poha/ chivda is a great snack to be eaten during tea time or well anytime of the day. My Mother In Law makes this dish quite often & is one of my hubby's fav snack. It is easy to make & crispy, delicious to munch anytime of the day.
3 cups thin beaten rice (thin poha)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 to 2 green chillies, finely chopped or sliced
4 to 6 curry leaves
1 tbsp unsalted peanuts
2 tbsp roasted chana dal (dalia)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
a pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp powdered sugar
a pinch of citric acid (nimbu ka sath)
1 tbsp oil
salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a pan. Toss in the mustard and cumin seeds. Let them crackle.
2. Add the green chillies, chana dal & the peanuts. Fry on medium/low level for about 2 minutes or till the peanuts are golden brown in color.
3. Drop in the curry leaves, asafoetida and the turmeric powder. Fry for 1/2 a minute. Stir in the beaten rice/poha and toss on medium level for about 3 minutes or till it is well coated with the oil and spices.
4. Sprinkle salt, citric acid and sugar to taste and toss to mix on high level briefly till well heated through. Remove from heat.
5. Let cool and store in an airtight jar. It can be stored for almost a month.