Rajasthan has its own traditional dishes and specialities. The best known food found in the menu of the rajasthani's is Dal Batti and Churma. One of the most delicious and filling menu. I remember sitting with my dad and eating together.............It is the most amazing lunch and so filling. Believe me after eating this relicious meal you would just wanna take a lovely nap. I usually do.....MUST TRY RECIPE
• For the dal or lentil:
• 1/2 cup chana dal or Bengal gram lentil
• 2/3 cup moong dal or green gram lentil, with skin
• 6 cups water
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 1 1/2 tsp. salt (to taste)
1 Bay leaves
• For Tadka or tempering:
• 1 tbs. oil or ghee
• 1 tsp. cumin seeds
• A large pinch of asafoetida
• 1 tbsp. grated ginger
• 2-3 red chillies (whole)
• 1/4 tsp. (to taste) red chilli powder
1tsp garam masala
1. Clean, wash and cook dals with turmeric, salt and water until tender, but don't overcook. Cook in pressure cooker in 2-3 whistles or pressures. Add more water if too dry.
2. Heat ghee or oil in a kadai.
3. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
4. When the seeds splutter, add ginger, bay leaves, Cloves and red chillies and fry for a few seconds, until ginger is lightly brown.
5. Add chilli powder, garma masala and quickly add to the dal, covering the lid immediately. This helps to infuse flavours.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with dumplings or batti.
Ingredients For batti or dumplings:
• 3 cups chapatti atta or wheat flour
• 1 cup yoghurt (For softness of dough)
• 1 tsp salt
• Water to make dough
• A small bowl of melted ghee or clarified butter
1. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and make a firm dough.
2. Divide it into 10 portions and make balls.
3. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 F for 20 minutes.
4. Turn over and cook for further 10 minutes.
5. Turn oven off and leave dumplings in for a further 10 minutes. Oven times vary so make sure dumplings do not burn and are cooked thoroughly. They should be lightly browned.
6. Dip each dumpling in melted ghee and take out immediately. Keep aside in a warm dish.
7. Serve hot with Dal.