2 cups chana dal, soaked in water for 3 hrs
2 cups jaggery
2 cups refined flour (Maida)
1 cup Milk
1 tsp cardamom powder
Pinch of saffron (Optional)
Ghee for frying
1. Soak the chana dal for 3 hrs and cook it in a pressure cooker till soft. Drain out the excess water from the dal.
2. Add jaggery to the dal and mix well.
3. Grind to a smooth paste in a blender.
4. Add cardamom powder, saffron and mix well.
5. Fry the above mixture in microwave or in a pan till the batter becomes dry enough and keep it aside.
6. Mix refined flour (Maida), milk and make very soft dough. Knead very well. 7. Divide the dough into small equal portions. With greased palms, take one portion of dough and flatten it to make like a roti. Don’t make very thin roti.
8. Place 1 tbsp of the chana jaggery dough in the centre and fold the roti from all sides to cover the paste completely.
9. On a well-floured board or preferably over a sheet of clean transparent plastic wrap, gently roll out each poli to a 6 inches roti shape. Make sure the paste doesn’t try to slide out of the roti. Use a little flour if that happens and then roll.
10. Fry each poli on a hot, dry girdle or tava with ghee. Roast both sides till well done. Smear with ghee on both sides when done. Serve warm with ghee.
Tip: Use milk instead of water for the dough to make the roti's softer.