1. 10 small sized round brinjals (cut the brinjals into 4 pieces not all the way through leave the stem portion intact)
2. 1/2 onion chopped into small pieces
3. 5 garlic pods (optional)
4. 1/2 cup tamarind pulp
5. seasonings, curry leaves, mustard, ural dal, methi seeds, asfoetida a pinch
6. 1 tbsp coconut paste or powdered pottukadalai (dahlia) (optional)
7. 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
8. salt to taste
9. 2 tsp oil
10. 1 tsp sugar
1. 3/4 red onion or about 15 small onions
2. 2 tbsp corriander seeds
3. 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
4. 4 red chillies
5. 1/2 tsp pepper
dry roast 2-5 set aside and saute the onions in a little bit of oil and make a smooth paste.
1. In a pan heat the oil add the seasonings, adding the mustard last and when the mustard starts to splutter
2. Add the onions and saute a little bit
3. Add the cut brinjals and fry them till the skin starts to turn brown. Add good amount of oil which will give more taste.
4. Add the turmeric powder and then add the garlic and saute for a minute.
5. Add the ground mixture and tamarind juice, close the lid and cook in medium heat till the brinjals are fully cooked.
6. Add the salt, sugar and the powdered dahlia mixed in about 1/2 tbsp of water or the coconut paste, mix well and turn the heat off in 2-3 minutes.